On Monday. September 20, 2021, the Rivers Edge Veterans Association celebrated its 5th Anniversary with a dinner party at Angelo’s Bistro. Forty-two (42) members, spouses and family members attended.
REVA was organized on September 26, 2016, with the intention of fostering camaraderie among Rivers Edge veterans and to give assistance to veterans and family members of veterans. The association is open to Rivers Edge property owners and residents who honorably served in the Armed Forces of the United States. To date, REVA has thirty-seven (37) members.
Since its inception, REVA has raised funds to support veteran-related charities. These include:
- Brunswick Community College Scholarship Foundation,
- Veterans Welcome Home and Resource Center,
- The Warrior Ride,
- North Brunswick HS JROTC,
- Folds of Honor,
- Tunnels to Towers (via VFW Post 2788),
- Canines for Service (which trains service dogs for Veterans in need of same),
- Veteran Smiles Foundation (which provides dental care free of charge to those veterans in need),
- Operation North State (ONS) which provides support to active duty military for NC residents serving and also to handicapped veterans by providing golf and fishing outings and providing Christmas remembrances for homebound vets at holiday time,
- Veterans Welcome Resource Center, which offers assistance to active military who are transitioning to civilian life and also continuing veteran support to vets of all ages in need, including homeless with no place to go,
- Wreaths Across America,
- Toys for Tots,
- JROTC food drive, and
- The collection of Comfort Kit items for veteran patients at the VA Medical Center in Fayetteville.
- REVA has hosted Memorial Day and Veterans Day luncheons at Arbor Landing, ice cream socials at Universal, Autumn Care and Brunswick Rehab centers,
- Golf outings at the Rivers Edge Golf Club for Wounded Warriors,
- We have organized Bingo games for patients at V.A. Medical Center,
- We have delivered Christmas gift packages to homebound veterans in support of Operation North State,
- We have provided the final cremation expenses of two indigent Brunswick County veterans with no other means,
- During the Government shutdown, we donated food cards to area active-duty Coast Guard, as the CG was not sheltered from loss of a paycheck during shutdown,
- We honor veterans who are under the care of LCFLC (formerly Hospice) with Veterans Service Flag Pinning ceremonies for those Veterans who have begun end-of-life transition.
All of this could not have been accomplished without the help of dedicated REVA members and the enormous support of the residents of Rivers Edge. REVA thanks you! We look forward to continuing to work together to support our veterans.